Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Alasinga Perumal – a saga of a great devotion



When I was a student of class VII, I heard the name of Alasinga Perumal first in my life in one of our weekly study circles. An uncommon name in our Bengali society. I asked my senior, `who is Alasinga Perumal? `
`A Madrasi devotee, working as a school teacher who collected funds from door to door as the passage money for Swami Vivekananda to his trip to America to attend the Parliament of Religion in 1893` replied my senior.
Later, I purchased one copy of Selected Letters of Swami Vivekananda, published by Advaita Ashrama, Kolkata. In that book, I have found that Swamiji wrote long long inspiring letters from America to Alasinga Perumal. Most of the letters started as ` Dear Alasinga` …….
I have seen his photograph in some books and I eagerly wanted to read the life of Alasinga Perumal, whose life is the burning example of devotion to his guru, Swami Vivekananda.
Recently, in March 2012 issue of The Vedanta Kesari, published by Sri Ramakrishna Math, Chennai, I have seen an advertisement regarding the release of a book on the life of Alasinga Perumal. From that moment, I took a decision that I will purchase one copy of this book and I will read the life of this great devotee. Recently, by the God’s grace, I have purchased one copy from Advaita Ashrama book stall at Howrah station. While returning by train, I have started to read from the first page of this wonderful biography and still I am reading.

As a student of Swamiji`s life and teachings, we have heard the names of Dr. Nanjunda Rao, Singaravelu Mudaliar (Kidi), Prof. M. Rangacharya, R. Balaji Rao, K. Sundararama Iyer, Biligiri Iyengar, G.G. Narasimhacharya, Rajam Iyer. But we have no clear idea about their lives and devotion to a great cause. In this book, you will find their short biographies of sacrifices and devotion along with some rare photographs. (Page 1 to 25). Moreover, you will find 43 letters of Swami Vivekananda written to Alasinga Perumal (Page 251 to 330), one letter of famous freedom fighter, Lokmanya Balgangadhar Tilak, written to Alasinga Perumal and a tribute to Alasinga Perumal by Subrahmanya Bharati, the great Tamil poet and freedom fighter.

My sincere respect to Swami Sunirmalananda, the author of this book. My sincere thanks and respect to Sri Ramakrishna Math, Chennai for publishing this wonderful biography of `an extraordinary individual`.

Really, this book is an asset to everyone who respects Swami Vivekananda and his mission. 


At a glance

Name of the Book: Alasinga Perumal – An Illustrious Disciple of Swami Vivekananda.
Author: Swami Sunirmalananda
Publisher: Sri Ramakrishna Math, Mylapore, Chennai – 600 004. India
Pages: ix + 342
Price: Rs 75
www.chennaimath.org




No comments:

Post a Comment